Anyway, I thought I might spend some time in October blogging about my design process, as I had a few questions about that. Luckily, while up at the block I came up with a new design. Yippee!!!
I've been pondering a wee little boy's cardigan for awhile, I've been dreaming about a circular yoke with colourwork be it stripes, fair isle or something. But I just hadn't quite landed on it. Just waiting for the perfect inspiration. And then it struck.
I'm sort of cheating by showing you what it will look like when finished...sort of.
Luckily I'd taken away five balls of Skeinz vintage that the lovely Maree sent me last year. I've been wanting to use these for ages, waiting for the perfect project, the perfect inspiration.
With the idea bubbling and perfect stitch pattern found, I set about swatching to see if it would work. I swatched the stitch pattern in the colours I wanted, threw in an increase row to see how it would fare. Pleased with the result, I added the rib edging to mimic the neckband and buttonband.
All this gets carried out with my trusty visual diary in hand, notes being scrawled around my original sketch to remind of the best increase, any changes to the swatch I need to make, or just general thoughts about the emerging pattern.
I sat with this all day. Pinned it on the boy to contemplate it. I do so like it. I do so love this colour combination, it reminds me of something I would expect to see knit in Shetland yarns.
What I really love about this stitch pattern is it looks fancy, it looks complicated but it is deliciously simple!
I am so pleased I loaded Numbers onto my iPad before we left. I spent yesterday evening grading the whole size range into a spread sheet, which means all I need now to do is order some more yarn, knit the sample and convert the spread sheet into the written pattern.
How damn exciting is that!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad