Friday, May 28, 2010

hookin'

yep, that's me.

I  have indeed been indulging in a bit of the fine art of crochet which may come as a bit of a surprise to some.  While I don't fall into the same camp as the self-confessed crochet haters, I do come pretty close. If crochet hooks went rusty mine surely would be. It's not that I hate crochet, or even the look of it. Just like the next crafty chick I'm ga-ga for a good granny square. Speaking of which, check these pjs out . I am super super tempted, but do you think the fabric might be a bit, umm, garish in real life?  Oh, that's right I'm not buying clothes this year.

So my crochet technique, is well, a little unorthodox. I am forever wrapping the yarn the wrong way, probably because I hold the yarn in the same hand as my needle... oops, I mean, hook, pretty much like I do for knitting.

But the Budding Designers Downunder Group on Ravelry had chosen two scarf patterns for this months  Knit/Crochet-A-Long. The scarf pattern was my Paula's Scarfette, so I decided to have a crack at the other one, the crochet one.

And the result:


Pattern: the glorious Urban Shells  by Katherine Crombie
Yarn: the yarn cafe's spiced, misty morning colourway, 100g.
Hook: knit pro harmony 4.5mm

I started on this last Sunday when I was just starting to feel a little bit crapola with a cold.  It was an afternoon of chuckles and laughter as I tried to figure out what the heck I was doing. At one stage I actually had 25 stitches lined up on my hook!! But I battled on, improved quickly and just quietly while the anti-crochet brigade are looking the other way, it was a little wee bit addictive.  shhh!



2 comments:

  1. well done, you crochetted (is that a word?)

    I have concluded that there is one thing in life I will never do, crochet is it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! that scarf if lovely. I am trying to teach myself to crochet and it just aint happening!! I tried to get my sister to fly over to teach me.. but she wont :( something about having to work or something which is obviously far less important than teaching her sister to crochet). Well done, I love the patterns on ravelry..well the knitting ones I can do :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and hear from you, so say hi when you drop in :)