My lovely husband Andy and Lily bought me a new sewing machine for Christmas!!!!! OK, so technically I shouldn't be using it as it's not yet Christmas but hey seriously, who could resist? I LOVE LOVE LOVE my new machine!! I think I played around with the stitches for about 10 minutes before the urge to make something took over.....I've been VERY productive since then whipping up Christmas pressies!!
Here's Lily modelling a ruffle skirt I made from this tutorial. The pattern is to fit a size 5/6 but as you can see it does fit a very petite size 2 ~ .(although if you look closely you can see that it's hanging off her hips and falling down with each bounce).I figured it would as the measurements for the top of the skirt is fairly similar to what I cut for my peasant style skirts.
I'm now making one for Lily to wear Christmas day with her I <3> Santa singlet ~ black cherries with red spotted underskirt.
I will make very very minor adjustments to the process; firstly, I like to use a 10mm seam allowance, I odn't like 1/4" seam allowances, I think they're more suited to quilting than clothing, particularly when you're trying to work ruffles. This will make it a tiny tad smaller but that's fine. And for the gathering I like to use a 2mm long stitch, and turn the tension back to two. Sew a line of stitching 1/4" in from the edge of the fabric and then another just next to it; the two rows really do make it easier to gather.
Anyway, now back to my new baby.. I'll put up some instructions for the mermaid tail a bit later ~ have to take some pics.