Thursday, October 14, 2010

day 13: more on the yarn search

I like organic yarn.






No, let me rephrase that I LOVE organic yarn.

Choosing organics and the green option is really important to me, so wherever possible I like to choose organic yarn. Sometimes if I see a yarn and it is organic i do find it hard to resist buying it, even if I don't really need it. It's worse if it's on sale.

I am lucky enough to regularly knit with WOOLganics Knitters Yarn. If you haven't heard me say it before, let me just say, this is the number one supremo yarn in the world. It is my yarn of choice. It is so buttery soft and melty, it is pure bliss to knit with. In fact, tonight I cast on that blue that you saw in the photo last night, which is the WOOLganics in the Raindrops. Funnily enough, I found another random ball of this today, so that game of yardage chicken is probably off.

I have to say, the other side of the equation and the organic cotton option hasn't been as easy to come by. When I think about yarn and cotton production, it's possible that using an organic cotton is perhaps even more fundamentally important. So my new little yarn search is for the perfect organic cotton. Again, it must be a dk/8ply weight. So far, the contenders are the ecoyarns organic cotton(pictured above), which feels lovely but as yet I haven't knit with it.

Another contender is the Rowan Purelife Organic cotton





Gloriously, gloriously soft. And the colours are pretty lovely (these are destined to become a skirt). What I love about the Rowan and the Ecoyanrs is that both these cottons are dyed using natural dyes.

And today I got my hands on some Sublime Organic cotton. mmm, also very nice. Shame it's being discontinued. And something to look forward to is Heirloom's organic range this summer.

All these options to try now mean I really really need to avoid that Bendigo sale that's due at the end of this month. I do not need stock up on BWM cotton. These organic options mean I do not need to buy BWM cotton (gotta keep telling myself that)


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

5 comments:

  1. You probably don't want to hear this then, but the sale has already started. And there's a new cotton colour or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post Georgie!
    I'm going to be following up some of your links.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Malabrigo Organic Cotton hun. I know it says its worsted, but it's not, it's a definite DK with 212m to 100g which cannot be classed as worsted. Yarn and Kisses has it for 25% off at the moment too........

    *disengage enabling mode*

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Amber, I got the sale brochure in the mail today.
    I'm going to do with it what I do with the Peter Alexander catalogues; loudly sing :"la la la" and into the recycle bin.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and hear from you, so say hi when you drop in :)