Wednesday, May 25, 2011

little butterflies

so, it's the year of the sweater/cardigan/jumper/jersey thing for me it seems.

I think I've knocked off 10 so far, with another five currently on the needles in various stages of hibernation and liveliness.

A little while ago you might remember me rabbiting on about two that I was going to share...mmm, perhaps I sort of forgot about that or got a wee bit distracted. I am a bit like that; easily distracted and forgetful..

So here are those other two sweaters, cardigans, actually.


This is from my new pattern Little Butterflies which was released, oh, nearly a month ago. I may have forgotten to mention that too. School holiday time and all that.

Little Butterflies is another seamless top-down pattern. If you look closely you can see little butterflies flitting around the yoke of the cardigan. It's a longer length cardie with pockets. Perfect for casual hanging around kind of days, or dressy too really.

I'm feeling a bit of love for short sleeved cardigans at the moment, probably because it's been Autumn so they're perfect for over long-sleeved t-shirts. But you really can knit the sleeves to any length you like. Suggested sleeve lengths are included for long sleeves too.


The pattern is written for dk weight yarn, because I really do think dk weight is the best weight for kids! Not too thick, doesn't take too long to whip up and still has a lovely drape, fabric and weight to it.

This particular green one is knit in Madelinetosh dk. A lovely superwash yarn that is hand-dyed in a brilliant array of colours. Aussie MCN knitters of old will find this a fairly similar yarn to Four Bags Full Merino.

However, the design and style of this little cardigan does lend itself to other yarn weights. It can work as a short sleeved jacket type cardigan in a heavier yarn like this one below.


This is knit in Yarnoodles Mountain Meadow yarn, colourway bloom. And I knit it at a tension of 17 stitches per 4 inches.  I wouldn't knit it any tighter, if anything perhaps a bit looser. So you can see it is quite a heavy worsted weight yarn.

The pattern gives a clear and detailed step-by-step tutorial complete with a subbing table and blank pattern to work this cardigan in a variety of yarn weights to suit your needs.

It also explains how you can work a contrasting trim like this one, which is knit on afterwards.



If you like it, you can purchase the pattern in my Rav store here for $6AUD.

You no longer have to be a Rav member to access designer stores.
How cool is that!

3 comments:

  1. I did indeed already buy this pattern, it look great and I can't wait to knit it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT! Just adorable! I'm smitten with butterflies anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it - have had it queued on Ravelry since you put it up for sale and will be buying it very shortly :o) I'm starting to wonder if Z will ever have anything other than Tikki patterns knitted for her LOL

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and hear from you, so say hi when you drop in :)