Thursday, September 10, 2009

creative space

Today the adventurous one is home on a day off. He has hurt his foot and is under doctor's instructions to rest it.  Unfortunately, these instructions are a little at odds with the plans the juniors of this house have for him.  Lily of course, thinks Daddy home on a weekday is an added bonus and is attempting to rope him into all sorts of games. She has him so twisted around her little finger that he is totally incapable of saying no. Currently he is eating lunch outside, which means he has both of the little ones hanging off him begging for scraps. You'd swear they were never fed those two!!  Lovely though, as it means I have some time to myself in here while I observe them through the big glass back doors.


In my creative space today I am desperately trying to get this finished. A test knit of the smallest size of my new pattern, bloom. Hopefully it will be ready for release for the school holidays, which is only just over a week away.  *eep*  But I just have the hemline detail to go on the little white one.

Earlier this week I had my first go at dyeing a semi-solid colour.  I thought about getting all fancy schmancy and using some professional dyes, but when it came down to it, it didn't happen. We're a chemical free household and yard and I couldn't quite bring myself to go through with it. So I resorted to the trusty old food dyes and used a different dyeing technique than I usually do for wool. The yarn was originally dusky pink and with the help of some yellow and cochineal it became this lovely toned orange, just as I envisaged.  


It's slowly transforming itself (well, I am knitting it) into a bigger version of the bloom. So all going well, there will be three overlapping sizings of this dress-top that grows with your little girl.   Plans afoot for a mummy version too ;)

for more creative spaces click on over to kootoyoo

8 comments:

  1. The dyed yarn has come up a treat! Well done.
    Thanks for popping into my blog
    Bianca xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am speechless! Not only is your knit absolutely exquisite... the colour of your home-dyed yarn is so beautiful I actually *sighed* when I saw it :) It's all so beautiful - great space. K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the color too..And that little dress is adorable..awwww

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats my favourite shade of orange. yummy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful beautiful colour, and Bloom looks divine!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and hear from you, so say hi when you drop in :)