Monday, December 15, 2008

Tropical Lily


A new pattern to share.

This pattern arose out of the need to knit something with cotton. I chose this particular cotton as it was the only one I had a substantial amount in my stash of - and I am supposed to be knitting from my stash exclusively.  I started off with the plan to knit a short sleeved Oriental Lily but the striping wasn't matching up on the bodice. A Rainbow Dress would probably have worked but before I got the chance to try that a vision of this entered my head, and suddenly I was possessed!

I looked everywhere for what I had in mind, but could only find crochet. I can crochet. Sort of. But it is pretty cack handed, upside down, back to front and all inside out, and of course, left handed.  Plus I can't follow a crochet pattern to save myself, the US and UK differences really confuse me. And so, the Tropical Lily was born.

This wasn't actually meant to be for my Lily. I was actually pleased when I finished it and she told me she didn't like it, because the green in it was too pale. She went through a stage where she didn't like green at all, now she only likes bright coloured greens.  Unfortunately, when I convinced her to try it on for me she changed her mind, and now I have to knit another one. The second one has some minor pattern improvements.

Pattern:

size: adjustable, fits from around a 20 inch chest upwards. The tie back and crossover straps make it a longer lasting style.  It would be very easy to upsize or downsize this by working extra or fewer of the 6 stitch lace pattern.

Yarn: 10 ply/worsted weight cotton.  I used just under three balls of Anchor Magicline (205 metres approximately)

Needles: 4.5 mm or the size that gives you the right tension

Tension: 20 stitches to 10cm/4 inches in stocking stitch

You will also need:
* 2 buttons
* stitch holder

Abbreviations:
K: knit
YO: yarn over the needle; bring the yarn over the needle to create an extra stitch
k3tog: knit  3 stitches together as one, effectively decreasing by two
k2tog: knit 2 stitches together as one, effectively decreasing by one
SSK:  slip, slip, knit. Slip one stitch, then slip the second stitch. With the left needle, knit into the front loops of the slipped stitches and knit them off as one stitch, effectively decreasing by one.

you may wish to visit Knitting Help to learn how to execute these decreases. 

Lace pattern:
Row 1 & 2: knit
Row 3: * K1, YO, k1, k3tog, k1, YO  repeat  from * 
Row 4: purl


Cast on 92 stitches.

Row 1 & 2: knit. 
The first and last four stitches of each row are knit to form a garter stitch edge.
Row 3 & 4: knit
Row 5: k4, *k1, YO, k1, k3tog, k1, YO   repeat from * until last 4 stitches, k4
Row 6: k4, purl to last 4 stitches, k4

Rows 3 -6  forms the lace pattern for the body.

Row 7: knit
Row 8: k4, purl to last 4 stitches, k4


Repeat rows 3- 6 a further 16 times, or until body reaches desired length.

Knit one row, cast on 30 stitches.
Turn work and knit to end of row, cast on 30 stitches. (152 stitches)
Turn  work and knit to end of row. 
This creates the stitches for the back ties, they are about 16cm in length.

Knit 2 rows.
Buttonhole rows: k42, YO, k2tog, knit to end of row.   Repeat.
Knit 4 rows.

Cast off 53, knit to end of row.  Repeat. (46 stitches)

k5, purl 36, k5.
Knit 1 row.
k5, purl 36, k5.

*k5, ssk, knit to last 7 stitches, k2tog, k5
k5, purl to last 5 stitches, k5

Repeat from * these 2 rows a further 4 times, and then the decrease row once  for a total of 6 sets of decreases. (34 stitches) 

With the wrong side facing knit a row.

*k5, ssk, knit to last 7 stitches, k2tog, k5
knit 1 row.

Repeat from * these two rows twice, for a total of 3  sets of decreases. (28 stitches)

k6, cast off 16, k6.

Turn work and knit a further 74 rows (or desired length) on these 6 stitches to form straps. You may wish to place the other  stitches on a stitch holder while working the first strap.  When considering strap length, remember the straps will stretch.  I used a strap length of approximtely 24cm. Cast off. 

Rejoin yarn at remaining live 6 stitches.
Knit 74 rows. Cast off.

Sew buttons on straps.
Weave in ends and block. 

Please email me if you have any questions or find any errors in this pattern ~ tikki@ozebaby.com.au

The copyright of this pattern remains with myself.  This pattern is provided free for personal home use only. Commercial use of this pattern is a violation of the copyright.  Selling products made from this pattern is prohibited under the copyright unless express written permission has been granted by myself as of February 11 2009. 



9 comments:

  1. ohhh tik she's wearing it and doesn't it suit her! I love it and my goshness look at that looooonnggg hair. Gorgeous little thing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww what a beauty!! Shes gorgeous! I love the dress too! Lovely summery colours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you clever chicken tik
    stunning stunning stunning
    xox
    kaz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely colours, number one for next summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful!!!
    I must make one for my lovely grandgirls. Oldest is 2 and the baby is 6 mos, I'll have to attempt to make one her size.
    Thanks for sharing this delightful pattern. :~)
    TTFN
    Ruste
    (a gal in the Arizona desert!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankyou for sharing your patterns so generously - I have just finished off your gorgeous Tropical Lily (pending a search for the right buttons), and thoroughly enjoyed the knit - so quick, I finished it in a weekend! I did solid colour skirt and top with a stripe through the back ties, so it doesn't look quite as funky as the Magicline, but I have some on order!! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice pattern to knit! It turned out beautiful in the cotton I used for it and I wanted to thank you so much for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and hear from you, so say hi when you drop in :)